A multidisciplinary scientist having over 43 years experience. Carried out original research in Cytogenetics & Plant Breeding, Biotechnology, Molecular Taxonomy, biosynthesis of secondary metabolites, Ethnobiology, Ethnopharmacology, Bioprospecting and Natural Product Development. Published over 515 research papers, authored and edited 26 books. He has 232 patents (India 76, USA 95, Europe 61) to his name.
- Director, National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow from Feb 1999 to Feb 2006;
- Director Tropical Botanic Garden & Research Institute, Tiruvananthapuram from Nov.1990 to Feb. 1999
- Director of Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology
- Central Institute for Medicinal & Aromatic Plants (CIMAP), Lucknow.
- Now serving also as a consultant to WHO, DANIDA, UNESCO, UNDP, UNEP and NAM S&T Centre for developing countries UN-CBD, Proctor and Gamble, Godfrey Phillip, Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala.
- 48 students received PhD/MD under his guidance
- Presently the Director-General of Amity Institute for Herbal & Biotech Products Development, and Senior Vice President of the Ritnand Balved Education Foundation, at Tiruvananthapuram
- He is a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC),
- National Academy of Sciences (FNASc),
- Fellow of the National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (FNAASc)
- Fellow of five other Scientific Bodies in India.
- President of the International Society of Ethnopharmacology (1998-2001),
- International Society of Environmental Botanist (April 1999 to Jan 2006).
- Also served as Vice-President/Chairman/Vice Chairman/Member of many National and International scientific bodies/committees, visited over 78 countries in various capacities as Chairman/leader of scientific delegation/scientific expert or to participate in international seminars/symposia or to chair the International Expert Panel to review research programmes.
• Published over 515 original research papers (220 in peer-reviewed journals, 79 chapters in books & 216 in proceedings of scientific seminars/symposia) in national and international journals and proceedings,
• Authored and Edited 26 books & 36 Reports.
He has 232 patents ( India (76), USA (95), Europe, Canada & Japan (61). Twenty of his patented products are now commercially produced and globally marketed.
• UNEP Borlaug Award in 1998
• The UN-Equator Initiative Award-2002
• Ayurved Gaurav Award 2009
• Padma Shri Award in 2010.
Gitamritam speaker in the year 2013.